Parents have a lot of questions as students return to in-person learning. A national poll conducted August 4-5 poll shows that the spread of the Delta variant has raised parents’ concerns about COVID-19 and has increased the likelihood of their child getting vaccinated.
TIPS FOR TALKING TO PARENTS ABOUT SCHOOL REOPENING
• Make it clear that the safety of students, teachers, and staff is your first priority. There are many benefits to in-school learning, academically and socially, but in your messaging, safety should come first.
• Focus on the benefits of vaccination and in-person learning — not just the potential harm of virtual learning.
• Be transparent about how decisions are being made, how you will monitor your plan, and how you will communicate with parents.
• Select messengers who already have a trusting relationship with parents. Parents say they want to hear information about school safety from pediatricians or other doctors, state or local health officials, principals, school superintendents, and teachers.
• Tailor your message for your specific audience. In our poll, all parents said they care most about student safety, but Black parents also placed a high priority on the need to address mental health challenges and Latino parents were more likely to prioritize the safety of teachers and staff.
REASONS CHILDREN SHOULD GET VACCINATED
Parents chose these as compelling and convincing reasons to have children vaccinated against COVID-19.
• The COVID-19 vaccination is the best way to protect our children from more dangerous variants.
• Vaccination can help children stay in school safety and get the education they deserve.
• Parents can protect their children from needing hospitalization or having long-lasting COVID-19 symptoms.
• Pediatricians recommend that teenagers get the COVID-19 vaccination.
• Medical science has proven that other vaccines keep dangerous diseases and viruses away from our children. The COVID-19 vaccines are no different.
WHICH STATEMENT FROM A SCHOOL OFFICIAL WOULD MAKE YOU FEEL MOST CONFIDENT AS SCHOOL REOPEN? (COMBINED RESPONSES)
WHICH STATEMENT WOULD YOU FIND THE MOST CONVINCING ARGUMENT FOR WHY PARENTS SHOULD GET THEIR CHILDREN VACCINATED? (COMBINED RESPONSES)
Source: de Beaumont & Made To Save